ETHICS AND PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE PRIVATE STUDY (MANDATORY CPD UNIT)
OMARA Activity Number M1B10042
Category B Activity
|Session Length:||1.5 hours Private Study|
|CPD Points Awarded:||1 point|
The Ethics and Professional Practice Distance Learning Paper is a 1 point CPD distance learning activity that covers a mandatory CPD unit for OMARA compliance. The ethics learning component covers in-depth learning and understanding of the new OMARA Code of Conduct framework from 1 March 2022 and will assist Registered Migration Agents and Lawyers to consolidate their knowledge of good ethical practice and how to avoid and deal with issues and complaints that may arise from clients.
- Overview of Ethics and Professional obligations and the Code of Conduct for Registered Migration Agents as of 1 March 2022
- General Duties of Competence and Professionalism – To act Professionally, Competently and with Integrity, Be Respectful, Not make False or Misleading Statements, and Not threaten to Contravene the Code
- Duties relating to Australia’s Immigration System – to Comply with Migration Law, Not Undermine Migration law, Not give Futile Immigration Assistance, and Not make False or Misleading Statements
- Duty to maintain Skills and Knowledge
- Duties relating to Practice Management and Advertising
- Duties relating to keeping OMARA, clients, Department, and Tribunal informed of registration issues
- Duty to respond to requests from OMARA
- General Duties to act in the Legitimate Interests of Clients, Avoiding Conflicts of Interest, and Maintaining Confidentiality
- Preliminary Duties to Know and Identify Clients, Arrange Access to Interpreters, and give Consumer Guides to Clients
- Further Duties to keep clients informed, avoid unnecessary delay, and not give false or misleading documents to clients
- Duties relating to Service Agreements
- Duties relating to Fees and Disbursements
- Duties relating to client documents
- Duties relating to Record Keeping
- Duties relating to Ending Agent-Client relationship
- Legal Professional Privilege
- Applicable Transitional Provisions
The CPD unit is intended to provide Registered Migration Agents (RMA professionals) and Lawyers with a solid understanding of the OMARA expectations for competent, professional and ethical practice. The learning activity will cover areas such as conflict of interest, managing client expectations, appropriate advertising and responding to complaints as and when they might arise.
Learning for this activity will be conducted in the form of private study and a short assessment task which covers a substantial segment of the OMARA Code of Conduct relating to Ethics and Professional Practice.
For Registered Migration Agents (RMA):
Participants must complete complete a 20 question assessment paper and answer at least 15 questions correctly in order to be eligible for the award of 1 Mandatory CPD point for OMARA.