CORE SKILLS: PROFESSIONAL SKILLS, FILE MANAGEMENT AND ETHICS WORKSHOP
Office of the MARA Item WK1210
Category A Activity (Mandatory)
|Session Length:||3 hours|
|CPD Points Awarded:||3 points|
The Core Skills: Professional Skills, File Management and Ethics Workshop is a 3 point CPD workshop that is designed to establish or supplement a number of essential migration industry skills. The topics to be covered include Professional Skills, file management within a professional office and a in-depth discussion of the Ethics and Professional Responsibilities of an Australian Legal Practitioner and Registered Migration Agent.
- Professional Skills – Client Interview and Client Management Skills
- Pre-interview preparation
- Giving Advice
- Ensuring Client Understanding of Advice
- Managing Client Expectations
- Dealing with Difficult Clients
- Giving Advice on Negative Outcomes
- Practice Management and Business Skills – File Management
- Maintaining an organised file
- File notes and correspondences
- Submitting complete applications
- File Management systems
- Maintaining client confidentiality
- Costs Agreements
- Returning client documents
- When clients terminate the appointment
- Ethics in Migration Law
- The OMARA Code of Conduct and the Legal Profession Uniform Law
- Duty to the Court and to the Administration of Justice
- Duty of Competence and Standards of Professional Conduct
- Professional Obligations to Clients
- Client Confidentiality and Legal Professional Privilege
- Handling Conflicts of Interest
- Financial Obligations – Account-Keeping
- Professional Courtesy and Relations between Practitioners
- Employee Oversight and responsibility over subordinate conduct
- Responding to Regulatory Authorities
The Workshop is intended to provide Registered Migration Agents (RMA professionals) and Lawyers with an enhanced skill-set in managing clients files and good internal business practice.
Workshops will consist of discussion and case study analysis. There is no assessment component but participants will be given an opportunity to attempt simulated case studies based on real-life scenarios. Feedback will be provided during the session.
Participation is limited to 30 places.
For Registered Migration Agents (RMA):
Attendees must remain in attendance for the duration of the Workshop in order to be eligible for the award of their 3 CPD points for OMARA.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD): This professional development activity has been designed to meet the CPD needs of lawyers. If this session does meet your CPD needs according to the Uniform CPD (Solicitors) Rules 2015 available at https://www.liv.asn.au/Professional-Practice/Compliance/Legal-Profession-Uniform-Law/Legislation you may claim 1 CPD unit for each hour of attendance (breaks not included).
The section covered in the Professional Skills component of the workshop falls within the Professional Skills CPD field for Lawyers.
The section covered in the File Management component of the workshop falls within the Practice Management and Business Skills CPD field for Lawyers.
The section covered in the Ethics component of the workshop falls within the Ethics and Professional Responsibilities CPD field for Lawyers.
Enriched Migration Training also offers an Ethics and Professional Practice CPD Mandatory unit via private study (Category B) for Migration Agents where the content is focused on OMARA compliance.